WHY STUDY IN FLORENCE?
Florence is an exciting city in which to live and study. On an afternoon stroll through the streets of Florence, which is set amidst the golden hills of Tuscany, you can visit Il Duomo, with its magnificent Renaissance dome that stands tall over the city; admire the architecture of Giotto and the Baroque sculptures adorning the fountains of the city; linger at the Uffizi Gallery with its vast collection of painting and sculpture; view the Santa Croce where Galileo, Michelangelo and Machiavelli are buried; discuss art with Florentine painters in their studios; explore the book shops near Via Cavour; and stroll along the popular Ponte Vecchio, a 14th century bridge spanning the River Arno. Sometimes, though, it’s just the simple, day-to-day experiences that also inspire, from taking a walk down the street past red-roofed buildings, to enjoying a fresh plate of pasta while people watching at an outdoor café.
A Covid-19 vaccination will be a requirement for all participants (students and faculty) in this program. AIFS will require you to show proof before you can leave the U.S
- Open to students age 18 and older who have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25 grade point average.
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in fully furnished apartments with kitchen in the Historical Center of Florence.
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor’s degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program, half-day guided walking tour of Florence, guided day trip to Siena and San Gimignano, and subsidized cultural activities which may include walking tours, cooking classes, wine tasting lectures, ballet, soccer matches, concerts and film nights, and day trips to Pisa and other nearby locations.
Program includes an orientation program, half-day guided walking tour of Florence, guided day trip to Siena and San Gimignano, guided day trip to the Chianti wine region, and subsidized cultural activities which may include walking tours, cooking classes, wine tasting lectures, ballet, soccer matches, concerts, film nights, day trips to Pisa and other nearby locations, and an optional, subsidized weekend excursion to Venice for $525. For Spring 2022 only, also included in the program price at no extra charge will be a three-day, two-night excursion to Rome, which will include transportation, hotel with breakfast, entrance to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and the Vatican Museums, and the services of a professional, English-speaking guide.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives, and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with the Contra Costa Community College District and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in Florence will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
Coming later: Florence brochure and flyer
DATES AND MEETINGS
- Saturday, Feb. 5, 2022: Depart U.S.
- Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022: Arrive Florence
- Monday, Feb. 7, 2022: Orientation
- Saturday, March 19 to Sunday, March 27, 2022: Mid-Semester Break
- Thursday, May 5, 2022: Last Day of Class
- Friday, May 6, 2022: Depart Florence
· PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE
Friday, September 24, 2021
· GENERAL APPLICATION DEADLINE -
Friday, November 5, 2021
· MANDATORY PRE-DEPARTURE MEETING - Venue and date still to be determined but will take place on a Saturday in January 2022.
FALL 2021 INFORMATION SESSIONS (FOR SPRING 2022 DEPARTURE)
Our instructor for Florence Spring 2022, Anne Marie Insull, will hold an informational meeting via Zoom in the summer, as well as more in the fall (dates of the fall meetings still TBD).
The Zoom summer meeting will take place on Tuesday, July 13, 2021, from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
You will need a Zoom link to join this meeting:
PROGRAM COSTS/FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS
- Program Fees and What Is Included (PDF)
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information
AIFS REFUND DATES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com). See official AIFS refund policy on your Agreement & Release form on AIFS application. Dates to remember regarding AIFS refunds once you are enrolled in the program:
· Friday, November 12, 2021: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After Nov. 12, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit. Students may also be subject to any nonrefundable canceled reservation fees by AIFS after this date. Details on AIFS Agreement & Release form on your AIFS application.
· Friday, December 10, 2021: Total program fee is due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date.
AIFS PROGRAM CANCELLATION POLICY
Please click here for a summary of the AIFS program cancellation policy.