WHY STUDY IN LONDON?
London is one of the most diverse and welcoming cities in the world, a cosmopolitan mix of dress, customs, cuisine, and culture. Studying in London could very well present for the Study Abroad student opportunities to establish a global network of friends. Outside the classroom you can enjoy all the entertainment, events, and excitement that London has to offer. Perhaps you have a passion for history, art and culture? Only an easy Tube ride away await Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and the Tower of London. World class museums also await your exploration. There’s the British Museum, which holds over 7 million artifacts from prehistoric times to modern times from around the world. The National Gallery and the Tate Modern display some of the world’s most famous classic and contemporary masterpieces. What’s more, London offers some of the best theatre in the world, whether it be a musical, comedy, or dramatic play. And how about finishing up a day of classes with a breathtaking view of the city skyline and River Thames? You can do so on the London Eye, the world’s highest “cantilevered observation wheel.” In short, your study abroad experience will be enhanced by living in one of the most dynamic and exciting cities in the world.
A Covid-19 vaccination will be a requirement for all participants (students and faculty) in this program. AIFS will require you to show proof before you can leave the U.S.
HIGHLIGHTS OF LONDON
- Open to students age 18 and older who have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25 grade point average
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in either a twin room in a London home (homestay) or multi-bedded room in an apartment (for a supplemental fee)
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor’s degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program and half-day guided tour of London, a travel pass for unlimited tube and bus travel in central London, an International Student Identity Card, membership of the Imperial College Union and local public libraries, and a heavily subsidized cultural program of events including theatre visits, sporting events, walking trips, and day trips.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives, and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with several California community colleges and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in London will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
DATES AND DEADLINES
- Depart the U.S.: Thursday, September 8, 2022
- Arrive in London: Friday, September 9, 2022
- Mid-Semester Break: Monday, Oct. 24-Friday, Oct. 28, 2022
- Depart London: Friday, December 9, 2022
- Priority Application Deadline: Friday, April 15, 2022
- General Application Deadline: Friday, May 13, 2022
- Late applications on Space Available Basis: May be accepted up to June 3, 2022
- Mandatory Pre-Departure Meeting: Saturday, August 20, 2022, on the Santa Rosa campus (pending approval)
spring 2022 INFORMATION SESSIONS (FOR FALL 2022 DEPARTURE)
During the Spring 2022 semester, Zoom informational sessions will be facilitated by Jacqueline McGhee, our instructor to London. Here is the latest meeting schedule:
Info meeting Friday, April 29th 1:30-2:30pm
Info Meeting Sunday , May 1st 11am-noon:
If you wish to be put on a contact list that would let you know when more meetings will take place, please email Patty Warne, the Study Abroad coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
program costs/scholarships/financial aid
- The AIFS program costs for London Fall 2022 will have a base price of $8,645.These costs will include all lodging, medical insurance, and AIFS services. They will not include airfare (there will be a group flight option for an extra fee), class tuition, books, and day-to-day expenses such as food. Click here to see specifically what is and isn't included.
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information (PDF)
- Click here for AIFS scholarship application
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com).
- Wednesday, June 15, 2022: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After June 15, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit.
- Friday, July 15, 2022: Total program fee is due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date.
- You are responsible for checking the AIFS Agreement & Release form about any refund dates and potential cancellation fees! Students who withdraw after June 15, 2022 could be liable and billed by AIFS for any cancelled bookings they signed up for (such as airfare & Scotland excursion, etc.). Students should therefore inform AIFS as soon as possible if they need to withdraw from the program.
AIFS PROGRAM CANCELLATION POLICY
Please click here for a summary of the AIFS program cancellation policy.