WHY STUDY IN FLORENCE?
Florence is an exciting city in which to live and study. On an afternoon stroll through the streets of Florence, which is set amidst the golden hills of Tuscany, you can visit Il Duomo, with its magnificent Renaissance dome that stands tall over the city; admire the architecture of Giotto and the Baroque sculptures adorning the fountains of the city; linger at the Uffizi Gallery with its vast collection of painting and sculpture; view the Santa Croce where Galileo, Michelangelo and Machiavelli are buried; discuss art with Florentine painters in their studios; explore the book shops near Via Cavour; and stroll along the popular Ponte Vecchio, a 14th century bridge spanning the River Arno. Sometimes, though, it’s just the simple, day-to-day experiences that also inspire, from taking a walk down the street past red-roofed buildings, to enjoying a fresh plate of pasta while people watching at an outdoor café.
Proof of full Covid-19 vaccination will be a requirement for all participants (students and faculty) in this program.
HIGHLIGHTS OF FLORENCE
- Open to students age 18 and older who have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25 grade point average.
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in fully furnished apartments with kitchen in the Historical Center of Florence.
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor’s degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program, half-day guided walking tour of Florence, guided day trip to Siena and San Gimignano, and subsidized cultural activities which may include walking tours, cooking classes, wine tasting lectures, ballet, soccer matches, concerts and film nights, and day trips to Pisa and other nearby locations.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives, and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with the Contra Costa, Los Rios, and San Mateo County Community College Districts and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in Florence will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
DATES AND MEETINGS
- Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023: Depart U.S.
- Sunday, Feb. 5, 2023: Arrive Florence
- Monday, Feb. 6-7, 2023: Orientation and workshops
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2023: Classes begin
- Saturday, March 18 to Sunday, March 26, 2023: Mid-Semester Break
- Monday, April 10, 2023: Easter Monday (no classes)
- Thursday, May 4, 2023: Last Day of Class
- Friday, May 5, 2023: Depart Florence
· PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE
Friday, September 23, 2022
· GENERAL APPLICATION DEADLINE -
Friday, November 4, 2022
· MANDATORY PRE-DEPARTURE MEETING - SATURDAY, JANUARY 14, 2023 AT DIABLO VALLEY COLLEGE IN PLEASANT HILL
FALL 2022 INFORMATION SESSIONS (FOR SPRING 2023 DEPARTURE)
All interested students and parents are invited to join in on a Zoom informational meeting given by our instructor to Florence, Lenny Wagner. Here is the schedule for those meetings:
Tuesday, Aug. 30: 12-1pm
Wednesday, Sept. 7: 10-11am
Monday, Sept. 12: 9-10am
Friday, Sept. 16: 12-1pm
Thursday, Sept. 22: 1-2pm
Tuesday, Sept. 27: 11am-12pm
PROGRAM COSTS/FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS
- The AIFS program costs for Florence Spring 2023 will have a base price of $7,995. These costs will include all lodging, medical insurance, and AIFS services. They will not include airfare (there will be a group flight option for an extra fee), class tuition, books, and day-to-day expenses such as food. Click here for a rundown of what specifically is and isn’t included in the costs of the program.
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information
- Click here for AwardSpring Instructions
- AIFS Scholarship Application
AIFS REFUND DATES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com). See official AIFS refund policy on your Agreement & Release form on AIFS application. Dates to remember regarding AIFS refunds once you are enrolled in the program:
· Friday, November 11, 2022: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After Nov. 12, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit. Students may also be subject to any nonrefundable canceled reservation fees by AIFS after this date. Details on AIFS Agreement & Release form on your AIFS application.
· Friday, December 9, 2022: Total program fee is due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date.
AIFS PROGRAM CANCELLATION POLICY
Please click here for a summary of the AIFS program cancellation policy.