WHY STUDY IN LONDON?
London is one of the most diverse and welcoming cities in the world, a cosmopolitan mix of dress, customs, cuisine, and culture. Studying in London could very well present for the Study Abroad student opportunities to establish a global network of friends. Outside the classroom you can enjoy all the entertainment, events, and excitement that London has to offer. Perhaps you have a passion for history, art and culture? Only an easy Tube ride away await Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and the Tower of London. World class museums also await your exploration. There’s the British Museum, which holds over 7 million artifacts from prehistoric times to modern times from around the world. The National Gallery and the Tate Modern display some of the world’s most famous classic and contemporary masterpieces. What’s more, London offers some of the best theatre in the world, whether it be a musical, comedy, or dramatic play. And how about finishing up a day of classes with a breathtaking view of the city skyline and River Thames? You can do so on the London Eye, the world’s highest “cantilevered observation wheel.” In short, your study abroad experience will be enhanced by living in one of the most dynamic and exciting cities in the world.
HIGHLIGHTS OF LONDON
- Open to students age 18 and older who have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25 grade point average
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in either a twin room in a London home (homestay) or multi-bedded room in an apartment (for a supplemental fee)
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor’s degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program and half-day guided tour of London, a travel pass for unlimited tube and bus travel in central London, an International Student Identity Card, membership of the Imperial College Union and local public libraries, and a heavily subsidized cultural program of events including theatre visits, sporting events, walking trips, and day trips.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives, and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with several California community colleges and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in London will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
DATES AND DEADLINES
- Depart the U.S.: Thursday, September 10, 2020
- Arrive in London: Friday, September 11, 2020
- Mid-Semester Break: October 26 - November 1, 2020
- Depart London: Friday, December 11, 2020
- Priority Application Deadline: Friday, April 17, 2020
- General Application Deadline: Friday, May 15, 2020
- Mandatory Pre-Departure Meeting: A Saturday morning in August (to be determined) at the Petaluma Campus of Santa Rosa Junior College
spring 2020 INFORMATION SESSIONS (FOR FALL 2020 DEPARTURE)
During the Spring 2020 semester, informational sessions will be facilitated by Anne Marie Insull, our instructor to London. Please check back here later for a posting of those meetings. If you wish to be put on a contact list that would let you know when these meetings will take place, please email Patty Warne, the Study Abroad coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
program costs/scholarships/financial aid
- Program Fees and What Is Included (PDF)
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information and Application (PDF)
- (Word doc version)
AIFS REFUND DATES & CANCELLATION FEES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com).
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After June 17, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit.
- Friday, July 17, 2020: Total program fee is due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date.
- You are responsible for checking the AIFS Agreement & Release form about any refund dates and potential cancellation fees! Students who withdraw after June 17, 2020 could be liable and billed by AIFS for any cancelled bookings they signed up for (such as airfare & Scotland excursion, etc.). Students should therefore inform AIFS as soon as possible if they need to withdraw from the program.