WHY STUDY IN LONDON?
London is one of the most diverse and welcoming cities in the world, a cosmopolitan mix of dress, customs, cuisine, and culture. Studying in London could very well present for the Study Abroad student opportunities to establish a global network of friends. Outside the classroom you can enjoy all the entertainment, events, and excitement that London has to offer. Perhaps you have a passion for history, art and culture? Only an easy Tube ride away await Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and the Tower of London. World class museums also await your exploration. The British Museum holds over 7 million artifacts from prehistoric times to modern times from around the world. The National Gallery and the Tate Modern display some of the world’s most famous classic and contemporary masterpieces. What’s more, London offers some of the best theatre in the world, whether it be a musical, comedy, or dramatic play. And how about finishing up a day of classes with a breathtaking view of the city skyline and River Thames? You can do so on the London Eye, the world’s highest “cantilevered observation wheel.” In short, your study abroad experience will be enhanced by living in one of the most dynamic and exciting cities in the world.
HIGHLIGHTS OF LONDON
- Open to students age 18 and older who have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25 grade point average
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in either a twin room in a London home (homestay) or multi-bedded room in an apartment (for a supplemental fee)
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor’s degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program and half-day guided tour of London, a travel pass for unlimited tube and bus travel in central London, an International Student Identity Card, membership of the University of London Union, and a heavily subsidized cultural program of events including theatre visits, sporting events, walking trips, and day trips, typically to Oxford, Bath, Brighton, Stonehenge, and Stratford-Upon-Avon. An optional 4-day, 3-night excursion ($595) to Scotland will also be offered.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives, and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with several California community colleges and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in London will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
DATES AND MEETINGS
- Depart the US: Thursday, September 6, 2018
- Arrive in London: Friday, September 7, 2018
- Mid-semester Break: October 22-26. 2018
- Depart London: Friday, December 7, 2018
- Priority Application Deadline: Friday, April 20, 2018
- General Application Deadline: Friday May 18, 2018
- Late Applications on Space Availability Basis: May be accepted up to June 8, 2018
- Mandatory Pre-departure Orientation Meeting: Saturday, Aug. 11, 2018 at Santa Rosa Junior College's Petaluma Campus
SPRING 2018 INFORMATION SESSIONS (FOR FALL 2018 DEPARTURE)
Below is the Spring 2018 schedule of information sessions by Albert Yu
PROGRAM COSTS/FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS
- Program Fees (PDF)
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information and Application (PDF)
AIFS REFUND DATES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com). See official AIFS refund policy on your Agreement & Release form on AIFS application. Dates to remember regarding AIFS refunds once you are enrolled in the program:
- June 13, 2018: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After that date, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit.
- July 13, 2018: Total program fee will be due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date. Students may also be subject to various canceled reservation fees by AIFS after this date.