WHY STUDY IN FLORENCE?
Florence is an exciting city in which to live and study. On an afternoon stroll through the streets of Florence, which is set amidst the golden hills of Tuscany, you can visit Il Duomo, with its magnificent Renaissance dome that stands tall over the city; admire the architecture of Giotto and the Baroque sculptures adorning the fountains of the city; linger at the Uffizi Gallery with its vast collection of painting and sculpture; view the Santa Croce where Galileo, Michelangelo and Machiavelli are buried; discuss art with Florentine painters in their studios; explore the book shops near Via Cavour; and stroll along the popular Ponte Vecchio, a 14th century bridge spanning the River Arno. Sometimes, though, it’s just the simple, day-to-day experiences that also inspire, from taking a walk down the street past red-roofed buildings, to enjoying a fresh plate of pasta while people watching at an outdoor café.
HIGHLIGHTS OF FLORENCE
- Open to students age 18 and older who have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25 grade point average.
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in fully furnished apartments with kitchen in the Historical Center of Florence.
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor’s degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program, half-day guided walking tour of Florence, guided day trip to Siena and San Gimignano, and subsidized cultural activities which may include walking tours, cooking classes, wine tasting lectures, ballet, soccer matches, concerts and film nights, and day trips to Pisa and other nearby locations.
- Free wireless Internet access at the Study Center during class hours and in the apartments.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives, and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with three other California community college districts and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in Florence will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
DATES AND MEETINGS
- Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019 – AIFS flight departs SFO for Italy.
- Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019 – Arrive in Italy and transfer to hotel for first night.
- Monday-Tuesday, Feb. 4-5, 2019 – Orientation and workshops.
- Wednesday, Feb. 6 – Classes begin.
- Monday-Friday, March 18-22, 2019 – Mid-semester break.
- Friday, May 3, 2019 – Program ends. AIFS flight departs Italy for the U.S.
- September, 28 2018 – Priority application deadline
- November 9, 2018 – General application deadline
- Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019 – Mandatory pre-departure meeting at American River College
SPRING 2017/FALL 2018 INFORMATION SESSIONS (FOR SPRING 2019 DEPARTURE)
Professor Danielle King (firstname.lastname@example.org), our instructor to Florence, will be offering the following informational meetings during the Fall 2018 semester:
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2018 from 3:30-4:30pm in Doyle 4244 (ground floor of library)
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018 from 4:00-5:00pm in PC 691 (Call Bldg., Petaluma campus)
- Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 from 9:00-10:00am in Doyle 4244 (ground floor of library)
- Friday, Sept. 21, 2018 from 1:00-2:00pm in Doyle 4244 (ground floor library)
- Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018, from 9:00-10:00am in PC 602 (Conference room inside administration lobby, Call Bldg.)
We may schedule more meetings in October and early November if there's a demand.
PROGRAM COSTS/FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS
- Program Fees and What Is Included (PDF)
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information and Application (PDF),
- (Word doc version)
AIFS REFUND DATES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com). See official AIFS refund policy on your Agreement & Release form on AIFS application. Dates to remember regarding AIFS refunds once you are enrolled in the program:
- Friday, November 9, 2018: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After Nov. 9, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit.
- Friday, December 7, 2018: Total program fee is due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date. Students may also be subject to various canceled reservation fees by AIFS after this date. Details on AIFS Agreement & Release form on your AIFS application.