Why Study in Barcelona?
Located on the western shores of the Mediterranean Sea, Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and second largest city in Spain, with an urban area population of 4.5 million people. Its more than 2,000 years of history as a center of trade and culture have left their mark on the city’s architectural, artistic, and cultural heritage. Said to be the most cosmopolitan city in Spain, it’s not surprising that Barcelona has become one of Europe’s most popular venues for Study Abroad students, with its many café terraces, its 50 museums to choose from (including some that house Picasso and Miró), its narrow medieval streets in the Gothic Quarter, its plazas, theaters and concerts, its beaches, and, perhaps most colorful of all, its whimsical architectural creations of Antoni Gaudí, including his iconic Sagrada Familia. Want to relax after your day of classes and homework? How about sitting at a table with some paella and people-watching along the Ramblas, or finding a spot on a mosaic sea serpent bench created by Gaudí at Parc Güell?
Highlights of Barcelona
- Open to students age 18 and older who have graduated from high school and have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25-grade point average.
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in either a fully furnished apartment with kitchen or in a homestay.
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor's degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program and half-day guided tour of Barcelona, a travel pass for use on buses and the metro in the central zone, an Articket pass, a day excursion to Figueres and the Dalí Museum, and subsidized cultural activities such as trips to museums, historical and cultural sites, theater and dance, and sporting events.
Why Choose this Program?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with several California community colleges and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in Barcelona will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
Dates and Meetings
- Depart the US: Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017
- Arrive in Barcelona: Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017
- Mid-Semester Break: Saturday, Oct. 21 to Sunday, Oct. 29, 2017
- Depart Barcelona: Friday, Dec. 8, 2017
- Friday, April 21, 2017 – Priority application deadline
- Friday, May 19, 2017 – General application deadline
- Friday, June 9, 2017 – Late applications on space available basis may be accepted up to this point
- Saturday in August 2017 – Mandatory pre-departure orientation meeting, date TBA
Spring 2017 Information Sessions (for Fall 2017 Departure)
Below is the Spring 2017 schedule of information sessions facilitated by Terri Frongia (email@example.com), our instructor to Barcelona.
|Monday||April 3, 2017||12:00 -1:00 pm||Santa Rosa Campus||4248 Doyle Library|
|Wednesday||April 5, 2017||5:30 - 6:30 pm||Petaluma Campus||PC 691 Call Bldg.|
|Tuesday||April 11, 2017||3:30 - 4:30 pm||Santa Rosa Campus||4248 Doyle Library|
|Thursday||April 13, 2017||5:30 - 6:30 pm*||Santa Rosa Campus||4248 Doyle Library|
*Media Services closes 6pm; for Apr. 13 meeting, exit via north door towards Elliot Ave.
Program Costs/Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Program Fees and What Is Included (PDF)
- Financial Aid Process Information (PDF)
- Scholarships Information and Application (PDF), (Word doc version)
AIFS REFUND DATES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (firstname.lastname@example.org). See official AIFS refund policy on your Agreement & Release form on AIFS application. Dates to remember regarding AIFS refunds once you are enrolled in the program:
- June 16, 2017: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees. After June 16, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit.
- July 14, 2017: Total program fee is due. NO REFUNDS OF PAYMENTS after this date.